How Are the Mega Millions Numbers Drawn?
Behind all the lights and TV cameras, a tremendous amount of behind-the-scenes work and security goes into ensuring that each Mega Millions draw is random and free from tampering, and that every ticket has an equal chance of winning.
US$ 142 Million
Mega Millions eschews computers for mechanical, gravity pick machines which are still considered to be the most random and tamper-proof lottery draw machines to-date. Officials inspect and calibrate every piece of equipment, including the numbered balls, to ensure that there are no outside influences on the results.
Once the draw has concluded and the latest Mega Millions results are in, ticket holders rush to see if they’ve joined the ranks of the biggest Mega Millions winners! With a jackpot that starts at $40 million, Mega Millions has the power to make dreams come true with each and every draw.
Are lottery prizes taxable?
Lottery winnings of $600.01 and over are subject to Federal Withholding tax. For
winnings of $600.01, up to and including $5,000, you will be issued a W-2G form
to report your winnings on your federal income tax form. For winnings of
$5,000.01 and over, your state’s Department of Revenue removes the 24 percent federal
withholding before you receive your winnings check (or, if it is
an annuity, from each winnings check). You then receive a W-2G form with each
check to submit with your 1040 form to show that the 24 percent federal
withholding already has been paid. In addition to federal tax, your state will
make additional withholdings for taxes, and most states will deduct other money that
you may owe to the state, such as back taxes, child support, loan payments, etc.
In addition, like the federal tax withholding, the state tax withholding at the time
of prize payout may not be the total state tax owed at the end of the year.
You must consult your state division of taxation for more information about the total
state tax requirements for lottery winners.
The state tax withholdings are as follows:
|Arizona||4.8% state withholding (Arizona residents), 6% state withholding (non-Arizona residents)|
|Arkansas||6.6% state withholding|
|California||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|Colorado||4.63% state withholding|
|Connecticut||6.99% state withholding|
|Delaware||6.6% state withholding|
|Florida||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|Georgia||5.75% state withholding|
|Idaho||6.925% state withholding|
|Illinois||4.95% state withholding|
|Indiana||3.23% state withholding|
|Iowa||5% state withholding|
|Kansas||5.7% state withholding|
|Kentucky||5% state withholding|
|Louisiana||6% state withholding|
|Maine||7.15% state withholding|
|Maryland||8.95% state withholding (Maryland residents), 8% state withholding (non-Maryland residents)|
|Massachusetts||5% state withholding|
|Michigan||4.25% state withholding|
|Minnesota||7.25% state withholding|
|Mississippi||5% state withholding|
|Missouri||4% state withholding|
|Montana||6.9% state withholding|
|Nebraska||5% state withholding|
|New Hampshire||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|New Jersey||8% state withholding|
|New Mexico||4.9% state withholding|
|New York||8.82% state withholding, plus: 3.876% (NYC residents), 1.323% (Yonkers residents)|
|North Carolina||5.25% state withholding|
|North Dakota||2.9% state withholding|
|Ohio||4.797% state withholding|
|Oklahoma||5% state withholding|
|Oregon||8% state withholding|
|Pennsylvania||3.07% state withholding|
|Rhode Island||5.99% state withholding|
|South Carolina||7% state withholding|
|South Dakota||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|Tennessee||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|Texas||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|U.S. Virgin Islands||† Unknown State Tax Rate|
|Vermont||6% state withholding|
|Virginia||4% state withholding|
|Washington||No state tax on lottery prizes|
|Washington, D.C.||8.95% state withholding|
|West Virginia||6.5% state withholding|
|Wisconsin||7.65% state withholding|
|Wyoming||No state tax on lottery prizes|
† This state/jurisdiction has not responded to our requests for this information.
More Mega Millions News
- Mega Millions Jackpot has reached $200 million!
- Changes to the Rules of the Mega Millions Jackpot
- Beware of new Mega Millions Scams
- An Air Force veteran won $1 million with a $2 Mega Millions ticket
- Who won the $202 million Mega Millions jackpot?
- The $202 million Mega Millions jackpot has been won in New Jersey
- The Mega Millions Jackpot is now $155 million
- Mega Millions Jackpot has Reached $130 million
- Mega Millions Winner in Leander Claims $227 Million Jackpot
- Mega Millions Finds a $4 million Winner in Florida
- Mega Millions $227 Million Jackpot Won in Texas
- Mega Millions Winner Sells Home Bought With Jackpot
- $168 million Mega Millions Jackpot Won in New Hampshire
- Mega Millions Jackpot Soars to $121 million
- New Jersey Player Hit The $267 Millions Mega Millions Jackpot
- New York player celebrates New Year with a $425 million Mega Millions jackpot!
- South Carolina Player Scoops Largest Mega Millions Jackpot Ever: $1.537 Billion
- $1 Million Mega Millions Prize Won in Michigan. The Jackpot Grows to $336 million.
- Fairfield’s Pool of 31 Co-workers Win $2 Million Mega Millions Prize
- Tuesday, 28th August Mega Millions Draw: Oklahoma Has a New Millionaire
- The Third Largest Mega Millions Jackpot Ever Was Won By a Pool of 11 Co-Workers
- The Mega Millions $522 Million Jackpot Was Won in California Last Night!
- Mega Millions Jackpot Soars to $340 million: it’s the Tenth Largest Jackpot in the Lottery’s History
- Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $212 million: it’s the largest Jackpot in the world
- Illinois Player Wins $4 Million Mega Millions Prize Thanks to Megaplier
- Michigan Woman’s Mega Millions Dreams Pay Off After Years
- Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs To $168 Million
- Mega Millions Jackpot Jumps To $136 Million
- How Long Do You Have To Claim Mega Millions Prizes?
- Mega Millions Jackpot Increases to $76 Million Ahead of Friday’s Draw
- How Will 20-Year-Old Mega Millions Winner Spend $451 Million?
- Florida Player Wins $450 Million Mega Millions Jackpot
- Mega Millions Jackpot Is Largest Since 2016 At $418 Million
- Mega Millions Jackpot Pushes Past $300 Million
- Nebraska Man Plans on Buying a Truck with $1 Million Prize
- 5 Interesting Facts about Mega Millions
- Mega Millions Jackpot Reaches Over $200 Million
- $2 Million Mega Millions Prize Won in Texas
- $4 Million Mega Millions Ticket Sold in New Jersey
- New York Couple Win $5 Million Mega Millions Prize with Megaplier
- What is the Mega Millions Megaplier and How Does it Work?
- Orange County Man Receives Early Christmas Present
- $1 Million Mega Millions Prize Unclaimed in Georgia
- Michigan Resident Wins $5 Million Mega Millions Prize with Megaplier
- Virginia Lottery Apologizes for Mega Millions Ticket Error
- New York Man Plans on Buying a Plane with $105 Mega Millions Jackpot
- Michigan Couple Claim Share of Mega Millions Jackpot
- Mega Millions Changes Happening This Saturday
- Two Players Win $43 Million Mega Millions Jackpot on Friday 13th
- What Are the Most Common Mega Millions Numbers?
- Friends Split $1 Million Mega Millions Prize
- Two Common Winning Mega Millions Numbers Help New York Player Hit Jackpot
- North Jersey Store Sells $1 Million Mega Millions Ticket
- Virginia Couple Claim $1 Million Mega Millions Prize
- Illinois Resident Claims $393 Million Mega Millions Jackpot
- Mega Millions $393 Million Jackpot Won in Illinois
- Mega Millions Jackpot Hits a Colossal $393 Million
- Mega Millions Jackpot Rolls to $382 Million for Friday’s Draw
- Mega Millions Jackpot Climbs to $323 Million
- Mega Millions Jackpot Hits $262 Million
- Mega Millions Ticket Sales Return to Illinois
- Government Shutdown Stops Mega Millions Ticket Sales
- Mega Millions Ticket Sales to Be Dropped in Illinois
- Mega Millions Jackpot Rolls to $58 Million for Friday’s Draw
- Man Claims $61 Million Mega Millions Jackpot in Orange County
- Mega Millions Ticket Worth $61 Million Sold in Orange County
- Arkansas Wins $177 Million Mega Millions Jackpot
- California Man Scoops $191 Million Mega Millions Jackpot
- Indiana Family Claim $536 Million Mega Millions Jackpot
- Retired School Principal Becomes New York’s Biggest Jackpot Winner
- Mega Millions Success for Florida and Maryland
- $648 Mega Millions Jackpot Shared by Two Ticket Holders
- Largest Jackpot in U.S. History Won by Three Ticket Holders
- Two Winning Mega Millions Tickets Share $380 Million Jackpot
- Mega Millions $336 Million Jackpot Won in California and New York
- Mega Millions Jackpot of $330 Million Won by Four Ticket Holders
- $390 million Mega Millions Jackpot Winners from New Jersey and Georgia
How to Read Mega Millions Results
To find out if you are a winner, you have to read the Mega Millions results correctly. Here is everything you need to know about checking your numbers:
- Check the 5 Mega Millions main numbers in the correct section – those drawn from 1 to 70.
- Check the Mega Ball in the additional number section – the one drawn from 1 to 25.
- Always check the full Mega Millions prize breakdown. Even if you haven’t matched all the 5 main numbers and the Mega Ball, you may still have all the winning combination for one of the secondary prizes.
- The main numbers and the Mega Ball are drawn from different guess ranges and they are not interchangeable. For instance, if the Mega Ball is 10 and you have it on your ticket in the main number section, it will not count as a match.
- Make sure that you are checking the winning numbers for the correct draw. The date on your ticket must correspond to the date of the draw for the win to be valid.
Mega Millions Results FAQ
When are the Mega Millions results up?
You can find the latest Mega Millions results online soon after the draw takes place. You can see them live on TV on Tuesday and Friday evening at 23:00 EST or you can find them online.
Where can you find the latest Mega Millions results?
The latest winning numbers are posted on the official site of the Mega Millions lottery soon after the draw, but also on our platform.
Do you have to match all the Mega Millions numbers to win something?
No, you don’t. Matching all the Mega Millions numbers will score you the jackpot, but guessing some of the main numbers and Mega Ball could get you one of the secondary prizes in the game. Take a look at the Mega Millions prize breakdown to see if you qualify for any of them.
Победа в лотерею — мечта каждого
О материальном благополучии мечтают все, независимо от географии, поскольку деньги — это свобода, а большинству из нас ее очень и очень не хватает. А тут — в один момент можно получить все: путешествия, домик у моря, автомобиль. Правда, этого момента нужно ждать годами.
Организаторы лотереи Mega Millions утверждают, что если периодически принимать участие в ее розыгрышах, то вы обязательно дождетесь своего большого приза.
Но лично я советую не верить на слово, а взвешивать варианты, изучать статистику и овладеть хотя бы азами теории вероятности.
Я тоже за научный подход к лотереям. Но и о мощном инструменте внутри себя забывать не стоит — это я об уверенности.
Купить билет Мегамиллионы